The Peace Memorial (原 爆 ド ー ム Genbaku Dome ?, “Atomic Bomb Dome”) is a site belonging to the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1996 which is located in Hiroshima, Japan
The building, consisting of three floors and built with bricks and mortar, was designed by the Czech architect Jan Letzel and its construction was completed in April 1915. The building was intended to house the trade fair of the Hiroshima prefecture. It changed its name several times, but it always had purely commercial purposes.
On August 6, 1945, the nuclear explosion occurred a very short distance from the building, which was the closest structure among those that resisted the bomb. This construction remained in the same state in which it was located immediately after the atomic attack, and is now used as a warning in favor of the elimination of any nuclear arsenal and a symbol of hope and peace.