PHOTO of Lupara [CB] – Italy

When I came to this village, many people greeted me as if they had arrived in a small host village. The road that passes through this town is unique: it enters and exits the main square, almost as if one entered the residential heart even for a moment.

334

Lupara is an Italian town of about 450 inhabitants in the province of Campobasso, in Molise. It stands on a hill that slopes to the left of the Biferno river, at 505 M a.s.l.

At the beginning of the year 1000 the town was called Luparia. The most obvious interpretation of this denomination traces the name to the strong presence of wolves in the countryside. Another hypothesis traces the etymology to the name of a herb (called “luparia”), and finally a third hypothesis traces the name to “Lup-erc-aria”, from the pagan rite in honor of the god Luperco.

340
Church of Santa Maria Assunta
Located in Via del Tempio (which certainly takes its name from the presence of ancient religious settlements prior to the current structure), in the upper part of the town together with the remains of the ancient castle. Of uncertain dating, we know that its consecration took place on May 20, 1694 thanks to a plaque placed at the entrance of the building. Thanks to documents we know that the church had a single nave until 1734, the year in which the two aisles were added, completed in 1853. It is accessed via a double staircase that ends with a balustrade. The structure is completely built in stone and has three portals on the facade, corresponding to the three naves.

– – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –

– – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –

 

341

Church of San Nicola

Renovated after the 2002 earthquake, the church is located in the main square of the town. It has now become a chapel even though it was once the first church in the country. It is the seat of the Congrega del SS. Rosary. Masciotta, in his writings, believes that it even precedes the mother church, having undergone numerous changes over the course of history.

343

📸 PHOTOS of Castelbottaccio (CB) [Molise] – Italy

Castelbottaccio stands on a hill to the hydrographic left of the Biferno river, the most important in the province. From its highest point, Colle Iannone (717 meters above sea level), it is possible to see the surrounding landscape as far as the Abruzzo region and the sea and, on clear days, the Tremiti islands (about 90 km away). Among the countryside it is easy to find farms and huts, a clear reference to the peasant soul of the country. Furthermore, a few km away there is the Celano-Foggia route(sheep track), which joins the summer pastures in Abruzzo to the winter ones in Puglia

Victory Square
Initially known as the town hall square, it was so named in 1965, it is the social center of the town. Adjacent to the church of San Rocco. In the center of the square there is a fountain that portrays the symbol of the town, a barrel surmounted by the walls of the ‘civitas’. Over the years, work has been carried out to modify the original shape of the square, which now looks like in the photo.

318
Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie
It is the most important church in the town, a few steps from the baronial palace. The church belongs to the 10th century and has three naves. Despite its Norman origins, currently, after a series of important restorations, the whole body is of Baroque matrix. Along the two side aisles there are small cells where we find several statues. At the end of the left aisle there is an imposing wrought iron gate. There is an imposing square bell tower, where 4 bells are housed. The church preserves the three important statues of Saint Lucia (year 1841 – wooden sculpture by Crescenzo Ranallo di Oratino), of the Virgin of Grace (year 1694 – wooden sculpture by Giacomo Colombo) and of Saint Joseph (year 1780 – wooden sculpture by Silverio Giovannitti by Oratino).

330

 

332

 

📸 PHOTOS of Lucito (CB) [Molise] – Italy

317

Lucito is an Italian town of 655 inhabitants in the province of Campobasso, in Molise.

The name of the town, Lucito, could derive from the Latin term lucus, which means “sacred wood”, or from the Latin name Lucius. According to others, it derives instead from “elceto” (or “saliceto”), vulgarly become “liceto” (or “saluceto”), and therefore “Luceto”.

The foundation of Lucito is traced back to the Lombard period. The town was a fiefdom of Gionata di Balbano in 1188, then passed to the Caracciolos and later to the Di Sangro. From the Di Sangro it passed to the Piscicelli, who due to debts were forced to auction off their fiefs. The fiefdom of Lucito was purchased in 1670 by the Neapolitan nobleman Francesco Capecelatro, former lord of Nevano, who thus became the Marquis of Lucito.

Church of San Nicola di Bari
It was built in the 14th century on the remains of a Benedictine monastery dedicated to Santa Maria al Plasinium. With the earthquake of 1456 it suffered damage and the church was re-consecrated in Renaissance style in 1566.

In 1805 a new great earthquake shook Molise and the church was completely restored in 1897.

The merit of the neoclassical church is the frescoed chapel on the right with arches. The church is distributed in three naves. The bell tower belongs to the Renaissance and is decorated with an onion spire.

305

 

Capecelatro Palace
It was originally the medieval castle. The Capecelatro family bought the castle in 1655, transforming the structure into a baronial residence. The rectangular building has two lower floors and a noble one, with the ancient coats of arms attached to the exterior. The ramparts and the two access portals are preserved.

306

 

📷 PHOTOS of Sant’Angelo Limosano

In my opinion one of the most beautiful towns in Molise. According to some sources, it is the birthplace of the only Molise pope: CelestinoV. The photos may not make you understand the beauty of this village but the church of Maria Assunta, located in the highest and most panoramic place, can shiver. It makes you feel like you are on top of the clouds, having a landscape from above.

302

The village developed as a fief of the old diocese of Limosano in the 11th century. It belonged until 1477 to the Molise center of Montagano (seat of the Badia di Faifoli), and then passed to Gerardo di Appiano.

Between the 17th and 18th centuries it was owned by the Carafa and Antellis families.

286288

They are fortifications used as access walls, for the path to the parish church. They unfold in three levels, decorated with arches.

Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo
The church was founded in the thirteenth century as a chapel dedicated to Pietro da Morrone, it was in fact known as San Pietro Celestino. Replaced in Baroque form in 1695, the church has kept a beautiful medieval wooden tabernacle. Outside there is still a part of medieval masonry with a Latin inscription.

Being the town located at 894 meters above sea level, it can boast many panoramic points, from which to see much of the Molise area because the fortress on which the town is located is the highest point in the whole surrounding area.

296

📷 Photos of Villaalfonsina (CH) – Abruzzo – ITALY

Villalfonsina is an Italian town of 911 inhabitants in the province of Chieti in Abruzzo, part of the union of the communes of the Miracles.

The origins of Villalfonsina are uncertain and a source of discussion. However, some texts state that the town was founded in the 16th century by the feudal lord Alfonso Caracciolo prince of San Buono and baron of Casalbordino. Other sources assert instead that the country was founded by the Schiavoni who landed on the Osento river with makeshift vehicles, fled from the Balkan peninsula pushed by the Turkish advance in search of more hospitable lands. At that time the area was under the fief of the d’Avalos of Vasto who owned a palace surrounded by farmhouses of colonists and servants, for which the population was subjected to the service of his belongings. A trace of this settlement remains in the parish, which has a bulb-shaped bell tower, typical architecture of the eastern shore of the Adriatic.

230

 

📷 PHOTOS of Casalbordino (CH) – Abruzzo – ITALY

Casalbordino is an Italian municipality of 5972 inhabitants in the province of Chieti in Abruzzo, and is the seat of the union of the municipalities of the Miracles.

The name goes back to a leader of that period, Roberto Bordinus, who captained the garrison in defense of the monastery.

Casal, that is, a farmhouse, a small territory of dwellings that guarded the monastery, developed from an ancient tower, later became the fortified center, a fief of the D’Avalos.

221

 

 

The mother church of San Salvatore, the main church in the city center, whose first plant dates back to the 14th century. It has neoclassical features, although the interior retains the late Baroque appearance.

 

 

 
The sanctuary of the Madonna dei Miracoli, an important Theatine sanctuary, located north-east of Casalbordino in the suburbs, a destination for pilgrimages, since the period of the Marian apparition to the farmer Alessandro Muzii in the year 1576, when there was a terrible storm that destroyed the collected, except that of the villager, who prayed to Our Lady. The sanctuary was built over the first chapel in 1824, however being damaged by the Second World War, when the Benedictine monastery had already been built, it was redone again in the 1950s, finished in 1962, having a neo-Renaissance style. The historical sanctuary was immortalized by Gabriele D’Annunzio in the novel The Triumph of Death, which summarizes the events of the Marian apparition of 1576, and then describes the pilgrimage of wayfarers and wretches, in asking for thanks to the Madonna, under the gaze of the protagonists of the story Giorgio Aurispa and Ippolita Sanzio.

212

 

madonnadeimiracoli

 

 
The Lido (beach) di Casalbordino, equipped and popular seaside resort with a large sandy beach, is 7.5 km from the municipal capital and extends along the suggestive Costa dei Trabocchi, a very short distance from the spectacular rocky coast of the Marine Natural Reserve of Punta d’Erce ( or Punta Aderci), called in the area “the little Normandy”.

casab

📷 PHOTOS of Rocca San Giovanni (CH) [Abruzzo] – ITALY

Rocca San Giovanni is an Italian town of 2 301 inhabitants in the province of Chieti in Abruzzo, north-east of Lanciano. It is part of the Club of the most beautiful villages in Italy.

 

189

The maritime area of ​​Rocca San Giovanni, is rich in hamlets and seaside resorts, which make up the so-called Costa dei Trabocchi. The coast is characterized above all by the presence of ancient and modern overflows, wooden fishing machines.

The most interesting beaches of Rocca San Giovanni are: La Foce, Il Cavalluccio, Vallevò and Punta Punciosa, in addition to the countless “coves” with a fishy, ​​turquoise and transparent sea. They are considered among the most beautiful on the Costa dei Trabocchi.

171

188

 

 

 

In the hinterland, a few kilometers from the sea there is the real town. Located on a small hill in the midst of green bushes. The village is small but the whole historic center is kept in perfect condition, and almost all the houses are renovated and with painted plaster.

 

 

 

 

200

Church of San Matteo
It is located in Heroes’ Square. According to some reliable bibliographic sources, the original church was built inside the castrum of San Giovanni in Venere. The medieval building copies the abbey of San Giovanni in Venere in smaller sizes. The bell tower was added between the 14th and 15th centuries. In the eighteenth century the truss was replaced by ribbed vaults in the central nave and barrel vaults.

 

 

 

202

Town Hall
It was built between the late 60s and the 70s of the nineteenth century and restored in 1926. The building overlooking Piazza degli Eroi is square in the neo-medieval Lombard style. On the ground floor there is an arcade which is made up of three round arches. On the first floor three openings with round arch lead to the balcony with a perforated balustrade. On the sides there are two identical windows. The central part of the facade is slightly advanced compared to the rest of the building. The facade is completely made of square blocks of sandstone. Inside, an imposing staircase leads to the council chamber. Since 2004, a collection of contemporary art has been held inside that collects sculptures, paintings and engravings placed on the main internal staircase and in the council chamber.

 

 

 

208

Remains of walls and Torrione dei Filippini
The main ruins of the walls of the fortress are located in via abate Oderisio where there is the Torrione dei Filippini, characterized by a masonry, irregular ashlars and river pebbles, and an irregular circular system used as a dwelling. The walls date back to the Normans from which they were built in 1061. The walls, accessible from via IV Novembre or from alley Portico, are made of stone pebbles from the surroundings.