PHOTO of Lupara [CB] – Italy

When I came to this village, many people greeted me as if they had arrived in a small host village. The road that passes through this town is unique: it enters and exits the main square, almost as if one entered the residential heart even for a moment.

334

Lupara is an Italian town of about 450 inhabitants in the province of Campobasso, in Molise. It stands on a hill that slopes to the left of the Biferno river, at 505 M a.s.l.

At the beginning of the year 1000 the town was called Luparia. The most obvious interpretation of this denomination traces the name to the strong presence of wolves in the countryside. Another hypothesis traces the etymology to the name of a herb (called “luparia”), and finally a third hypothesis traces the name to “Lup-erc-aria”, from the pagan rite in honor of the god Luperco.

340
Church of Santa Maria Assunta
Located in Via del Tempio (which certainly takes its name from the presence of ancient religious settlements prior to the current structure), in the upper part of the town together with the remains of the ancient castle. Of uncertain dating, we know that its consecration took place on May 20, 1694 thanks to a plaque placed at the entrance of the building. Thanks to documents we know that the church had a single nave until 1734, the year in which the two aisles were added, completed in 1853. It is accessed via a double staircase that ends with a balustrade. The structure is completely built in stone and has three portals on the facade, corresponding to the three naves.

– – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –

– – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – –

 

341

Church of San Nicola

Renovated after the 2002 earthquake, the church is located in the main square of the town. It has now become a chapel even though it was once the first church in the country. It is the seat of the Congrega del SS. Rosary. Masciotta, in his writings, believes that it even precedes the mother church, having undergone numerous changes over the course of history.

343

📸 PHOTOS of Castelbottaccio (CB) [Molise] – Italy

Castelbottaccio stands on a hill to the hydrographic left of the Biferno river, the most important in the province. From its highest point, Colle Iannone (717 meters above sea level), it is possible to see the surrounding landscape as far as the Abruzzo region and the sea and, on clear days, the Tremiti islands (about 90 km away). Among the countryside it is easy to find farms and huts, a clear reference to the peasant soul of the country. Furthermore, a few km away there is the Celano-Foggia route(sheep track), which joins the summer pastures in Abruzzo to the winter ones in Puglia

Victory Square
Initially known as the town hall square, it was so named in 1965, it is the social center of the town. Adjacent to the church of San Rocco. In the center of the square there is a fountain that portrays the symbol of the town, a barrel surmounted by the walls of the ‘civitas’. Over the years, work has been carried out to modify the original shape of the square, which now looks like in the photo.

318
Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie
It is the most important church in the town, a few steps from the baronial palace. The church belongs to the 10th century and has three naves. Despite its Norman origins, currently, after a series of important restorations, the whole body is of Baroque matrix. Along the two side aisles there are small cells where we find several statues. At the end of the left aisle there is an imposing wrought iron gate. There is an imposing square bell tower, where 4 bells are housed. The church preserves the three important statues of Saint Lucia (year 1841 – wooden sculpture by Crescenzo Ranallo di Oratino), of the Virgin of Grace (year 1694 – wooden sculpture by Giacomo Colombo) and of Saint Joseph (year 1780 – wooden sculpture by Silverio Giovannitti by Oratino).

330

 

332

 

📸 PHOTOS of Lucito (CB) [Molise] – Italy

317

Lucito is an Italian town of 655 inhabitants in the province of Campobasso, in Molise.

The name of the town, Lucito, could derive from the Latin term lucus, which means “sacred wood”, or from the Latin name Lucius. According to others, it derives instead from “elceto” (or “saliceto”), vulgarly become “liceto” (or “saluceto”), and therefore “Luceto”.

The foundation of Lucito is traced back to the Lombard period. The town was a fiefdom of Gionata di Balbano in 1188, then passed to the Caracciolos and later to the Di Sangro. From the Di Sangro it passed to the Piscicelli, who due to debts were forced to auction off their fiefs. The fiefdom of Lucito was purchased in 1670 by the Neapolitan nobleman Francesco Capecelatro, former lord of Nevano, who thus became the Marquis of Lucito.

Church of San Nicola di Bari
It was built in the 14th century on the remains of a Benedictine monastery dedicated to Santa Maria al Plasinium. With the earthquake of 1456 it suffered damage and the church was re-consecrated in Renaissance style in 1566.

In 1805 a new great earthquake shook Molise and the church was completely restored in 1897.

The merit of the neoclassical church is the frescoed chapel on the right with arches. The church is distributed in three naves. The bell tower belongs to the Renaissance and is decorated with an onion spire.

305

 

Capecelatro Palace
It was originally the medieval castle. The Capecelatro family bought the castle in 1655, transforming the structure into a baronial residence. The rectangular building has two lower floors and a noble one, with the ancient coats of arms attached to the exterior. The ramparts and the two access portals are preserved.

306

 

📷 PHOTOS of Sant’Angelo Limosano

In my opinion one of the most beautiful towns in Molise. According to some sources, it is the birthplace of the only Molise pope: CelestinoV. The photos may not make you understand the beauty of this village but the church of Maria Assunta, located in the highest and most panoramic place, can shiver. It makes you feel like you are on top of the clouds, having a landscape from above.

302

The village developed as a fief of the old diocese of Limosano in the 11th century. It belonged until 1477 to the Molise center of Montagano (seat of the Badia di Faifoli), and then passed to Gerardo di Appiano.

Between the 17th and 18th centuries it was owned by the Carafa and Antellis families.

286288

They are fortifications used as access walls, for the path to the parish church. They unfold in three levels, decorated with arches.

Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo
The church was founded in the thirteenth century as a chapel dedicated to Pietro da Morrone, it was in fact known as San Pietro Celestino. Replaced in Baroque form in 1695, the church has kept a beautiful medieval wooden tabernacle. Outside there is still a part of medieval masonry with a Latin inscription.

Being the town located at 894 meters above sea level, it can boast many panoramic points, from which to see much of the Molise area because the fortress on which the town is located is the highest point in the whole surrounding area.

296