Sabaudia is a small town located on the coast of the province of Latina, south of Rome. Nearby there are also lakes that make it very humid, but on the other hand they are quite uncontaminated. I visited it on a sunny day in early October, when the cold is still not coming.
Gambatesa (Iammatése in Molise) is an Italian town of 1 359 inhabitants in the province of Campobasso, in Molise. It is about 30 kilometers east from the capital and about 10 kilometers from the border between Molise and Puglia. Located on the hill and surrounded by greenery, it offers a wide view of the Occhito lake; it has an extension of 43 km². Probably the center existed in Roman times, even if it developed as a castle of the Lombards in the eighth century. The name comes from a physical defect of the first owner. The castle developed in the Angevin period in the thirteenth century, under the control of Riccardo Pietravalle, favorite of Roberto D’Angiò. In 1399 Ladislao di Durazzo granted the fief to the Galluccio family of Naples. In the 15th century it passed to Andrea di Capua, hence the name of the castle. The Caracciolo family was the last dynasty to have feudal control of Gambatesa, until 1806. Subsequently, with the establishment of the Molise region, the center became part of the Campobasso state property. Traditions and folklore The “Maitunate” festival, in addition to being the oldest New Year in Molise, is the oldest and most characteristic popular event in Gambatesa, which involves the entire population. It takes place from the evening of December 31st to the evening of January 1st of each year, and has as its stage the squares, streets, alleys and thresholds of the houses of friends, relatives and authorities.
Lucito is an Italian town of 655 inhabitants in the province of Campobasso, in Molise.
The name of the town, Lucito, could derive from the Latin term lucus, which means “sacred wood”, or from the Latin name Lucius. According to others, it derives instead from “elceto” (or “saliceto”), vulgarly become “liceto” (or “saluceto”), and therefore “Luceto”.
The foundation of Lucito is traced back to the Lombard period. The town was a fiefdom of Gionata di Balbano in 1188, then passed to the Caracciolos and later to the Di Sangro. From the Di Sangro it passed to the Piscicelli, who due to debts were forced to auction off their fiefs. The fiefdom of Lucito was purchased in 1670 by the Neapolitan nobleman Francesco Capecelatro, former lord of Nevano, who thus became the Marquis of Lucito.
Church of San Nicola di Bari
It was built in the 14th century on the remains of a Benedictine monastery dedicated to Santa Maria al Plasinium. With the earthquake of 1456 it suffered damage and the church was re-consecrated in Renaissance style in 1566.
In 1805 a new great earthquake shook Molise and the church was completely restored in 1897.
The merit of the neoclassical church is the frescoed chapel on the right with arches. The church is distributed in three naves. The bell tower belongs to the Renaissance and is decorated with an onion spire.
It was originally the medieval castle. The Capecelatro family bought the castle in 1655, transforming the structure into a baronial residence. The rectangular building has two lower floors and a noble one, with the ancient coats of arms attached to the exterior. The ramparts and the two access portals are preserved.
Limosano is the main town in Molise used as the set of the 2013 film with Checco Zalone. In the story Checco takes his son Nicolò on vacation to his aunt in Limosano because he doesn’t have enough money for a luxurious trip. But staying with the stingy aunt turns out to be torture. In the film you can see the town from the provincial road, and its very distinct historic center with the church of Santa Maria Maggiore at the top, and on the right the facade of San Francesco, while Checco and his son climb the stairs to visit their uncle .
The release of the film sparked some controversy in Molise for the stereotypical way in which they were seen by Zalone in the story, such as the total absence of children in the country.
The oldest nucleus stands on the central part of the tufaceous hill of the historic center, while the more recent late Renaissance one developed at the foot of the Ducal Palace. Limosano has medieval origins, built around a castle founded by the Lombards, when it was part of the Gastaldato di Bojano, which later became the County of Molise in the 13th century.
Parish Church of Santa Maria Maggiore
The church dates back to the 11th century, restored in the 15th century after an earthquake, and again heavily modified in the 18th century. The underground crypt remains original; the façade is very simple, characterized by a portal surmounted by a rectangular window. The portal has an architrave with Latin writing and the date of restoration of the church, in 1755; the plan of the building is rectangular with a single nave, laterally composed of a series of chapels bordered by round arches. The span near the entrance is formed by a gallery that preserves the wooden organ.
The presbytery which is located in an elevated position with respect to the area of the faithful, preserves an altar in worked marble; on the right side there are access doors to the bell tower and the sacristy. On the opposite side there is a room that leads to an orthogonal chapel, characterized by Renaissance frescoes; this chapel is dedicated to the Rosary, seat of the homonymous Confraternity.
The bell tower of the church is on the right, with a rectangular turreted plan. One of its walls has an ogival semi-arch attesting to its medieval origin, remodeled in the eighteenth century. There are engraved allegorical symbols of the Sun and the Lamb. Below the level of the church there are rooms: one has a barrel roof and is positioned under the terrace in front of the facade; another is placed under the church, preserving the lockable floor, where some bishops are buried with the original medieval tombstones.
Villalfonsina is an Italian town of 911 inhabitants in the province of Chieti in Abruzzo, part of the union of the communes of the Miracles.
The origins of Villalfonsina are uncertain and a source of discussion. However, some texts state that the town was founded in the 16th century by the feudal lord Alfonso Caracciolo prince of San Buono and baron of Casalbordino. Other sources assert instead that the country was founded by the Schiavoni who landed on the Osento river with makeshift vehicles, fled from the Balkan peninsula pushed by the Turkish advance in search of more hospitable lands. At that time the area was under the fief of the d’Avalos of Vasto who owned a palace surrounded by farmhouses of colonists and servants, for which the population was subjected to the service of his belongings. A trace of this settlement remains in the parish, which has a bulb-shaped bell tower, typical architecture of the eastern shore of the Adriatic.
Casalbordino is an Italian municipality of 5972 inhabitants in the province of Chieti in Abruzzo, and is the seat of the union of the municipalities of the Miracles.
The name goes back to a leader of that period, Roberto Bordinus, who captained the garrison in defense of the monastery.
Casal, that is, a farmhouse, a small territory of dwellings that guarded the monastery, developed from an ancient tower, later became the fortified center, a fief of the D’Avalos.
The mother church of San Salvatore, the main church in the city center, whose first plant dates back to the 14th century. It has neoclassical features, although the interior retains the late Baroque appearance.
The sanctuary of the Madonna dei Miracoli, an important Theatine sanctuary, located north-east of Casalbordino in the suburbs, a destination for pilgrimages, since the period of the Marian apparition to the farmer Alessandro Muzii in the year 1576, when there was a terrible storm that destroyed the collected, except that of the villager, who prayed to Our Lady. The sanctuary was built over the first chapel in 1824, however being damaged by the Second World War, when the Benedictine monastery had already been built, it was redone again in the 1950s, finished in 1962, having a neo-Renaissance style. The historical sanctuary was immortalized by Gabriele D’Annunzio in the novel The Triumph of Death, which summarizes the events of the Marian apparition of 1576, and then describes the pilgrimage of wayfarers and wretches, in asking for thanks to the Madonna, under the gaze of the protagonists of the story Giorgio Aurispa and Ippolita Sanzio.
The Lido (beach) di Casalbordino, equipped and popular seaside resort with a large sandy beach, is 7.5 km from the municipal capital and extends along the suggestive Costa dei Trabocchi, a very short distance from the spectacular rocky coast of the Marine Natural Reserve of Punta d’Erce ( or Punta Aderci), called in the area “the little Normandy”.
Rocca San Giovanni is an Italian town of 2 301 inhabitants in the province of Chieti in Abruzzo, north-east of Lanciano. It is part of the Club of the most beautiful villages in Italy.
The maritime area of Rocca San Giovanni, is rich in hamlets and seaside resorts, which make up the so-called Costa dei Trabocchi. The coast is characterized above all by the presence of ancient and modern overflows, wooden fishing machines.
The most interesting beaches of Rocca San Giovanni are: La Foce, Il Cavalluccio, Vallevò and Punta Punciosa, in addition to the countless “coves” with a fishy, turquoise and transparent sea. They are considered among the most beautiful on the Costa dei Trabocchi.
In the hinterland, a few kilometers from the sea there is the real town. Located on a small hill in the midst of green bushes. The village is small but the whole historic center is kept in perfect condition, and almost all the houses are renovated and with painted plaster.
Church of San Matteo
It is located in Heroes’ Square. According to some reliable bibliographic sources, the original church was built inside the castrum of San Giovanni in Venere. The medieval building copies the abbey of San Giovanni in Venere in smaller sizes. The bell tower was added between the 14th and 15th centuries. In the eighteenth century the truss was replaced by ribbed vaults in the central nave and barrel vaults.
It was built between the late 60s and the 70s of the nineteenth century and restored in 1926. The building overlooking Piazza degli Eroi is square in the neo-medieval Lombard style. On the ground floor there is an arcade which is made up of three round arches. On the first floor three openings with round arch lead to the balcony with a perforated balustrade. On the sides there are two identical windows. The central part of the facade is slightly advanced compared to the rest of the building. The facade is completely made of square blocks of sandstone. Inside, an imposing staircase leads to the council chamber. Since 2004, a collection of contemporary art has been held inside that collects sculptures, paintings and engravings placed on the main internal staircase and in the council chamber.
Remains of walls and Torrione dei Filippini
The main ruins of the walls of the fortress are located in via abate Oderisio where there is the Torrione dei Filippini, characterized by a masonry, irregular ashlars and river pebbles, and an irregular circular system used as a dwelling. The walls date back to the Normans from which they were built in 1061. The walls, accessible from via IV Novembre or from alley Portico, are made of stone pebbles from the surroundings.